Sunday, May 16, 2010

wild ramps !

wild ramps --- photo copyright z m evensen

Wow! What a find!  I found these near a stream under aspen and pine trees. We actually went fishing in the high Sierras -- hoping to have enough catch for dinner. The fish was not biting -- not at the lakes nor the streams. So, we went off road to follow the small streams still with batches of snow here and there. That's where I spotted several bunches of beautiful wild ramps! What a find!  I knew about wild ramps before but I did not know they grow in the western United States. To make sure, I checked out pictures on the 'Net before I started cooking them. I tasted the fresh ramps which had a delightful peppery garlicky oniony flavor.
As soon as I got home, I braised  chopped ramps in butter, added king trumpet mushrooms and red and yellow chard ( chiffonade). No salt, no pepper. (see king trumpet mushrooms below). A perfect lunch!


z m evensen
15 may 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment